Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Dignity in a Toilet Stall

I was meeting a donor friend of mine for lunch at one of my favourite restaurants - Boston Pizza - yeah, Cactus Cut Potatoes!

But I digress...

After we finished lunch I excused myself to do nature's work. I was in one of the two stalls and I heard a father helping his son to also do nature's work in the next stall over. He was kind and compassionate. He was patient and encouraging.

But when we met up at the sink, I saw that it wasn't a father with his young son. It was a middle-aged son with his very elderly father. The elderly man didn't seem to have verbal skills (perhaps because of a stroke) and was very slow moving - needing help with washing his hands. And the words of encouragement, the patient tones, the kindness and compassion all of a sudden took on a whole different dynamic.


I had the overwhelming desire to hug this faithful son - this servant!

Would I do that for my father? Absolutely!

Would I do it for someone else's father?  Uuuuh......?

As a father and a grandfather I have had, and continue to have, much experience in caring for and nurturing those much younger than I. But I realized at that moment that maybe I wasn't fully prepared to serve another elderly non-family member in the same way.

But as I thought about it, I realized that no adult wants to have to depend on another person to look after them. We learned from the time we were children to do things on our own. And most of us don't like the humiliation of having to ask for help - especially with the simple things of life.

But sometimes we don't have the option to refuse. And sometimes people, like this elderly man, need people who are willing to help us - with dignity and understanding - to accomplish the basics of life.

God help me to treat with dignity those who can no longer help themselves. Help me, like this younger man, give the patient and kind service to those who need it.







No comments: