Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Laying Blame

It is always easier to lay blame than to take responsibility. That way we divert unwanted attention from us to others.

That became very clear to me a few weeks ago. I had been invited to speak in Latin America. I had agreed to come at my own cost. All I asked for was transportation to and from the airport, 2 or 3 meals a day and a place to sleep. I was promised that would be no problem. In fact I was told that I was booked into a large church in the capital city on Sunday morning and they would take a love offering for my ministry - to help defray the costs.

Things were different when I arrived, however. I ended up paying for the transportation to and from the airport and some of the food There was nothing booked in the capital for Sunday and the revised plans changed by the hour. I also ended up helping out another young believer who had been left with broken promises as well - and no money for the bus fare home.

I have learned to be flexible - especially when working with people from other cultures. However, the man who was responsible for the things he promised me ended up trying to divert the blame onto other people. He never offered an apology for things falling apart. He just pushed the blame on others.

And can I really blame him? Wouldn't most of us be tempted to do the same thing? I know that I have done that at times as well.

But when things don't work out the way we wanted them to or hoped they would, I can't think of too many people who wouldn't accept my apology - taking responsibility for my own failure. Christian brothers and sisters are often eager to forgive when there is ownership and humility expressed. It is a part of following Jesus that we understand that we all fall short.

Can I forgive the man? It took a few days, but yes, I did forgive him. But it certainly doesn't make me want to work with him again.

Owning up to our own responsibility takes guts. It sometimes hurts. It sometimes costs us - emotionally, financially, relationally, etc. But is far healthier and far more honest than to blame others. That just makes us look more like a bully.



So, when things go wrong... don't pass the blame.

Humble yourself. Take responsibility.

The end result is far better than! And it reflects the character of Jesus.

1 comment:

goldengma said...

A very good reminder Gareth! Thank you!